Mayor calls off St. Paul Fourth of July fireworks

The City of St. Paul won’t be hosting Fourth of July fireworks this year due to budget concerns. 

St. Paul Mayor Melvin Carter announced the decision via a Facebook post on June 27. 

“As I’ve considered the budgetary priorities we manage across our city in the first year of my administration, I’ve decided I can’t in good conscience support spending tax dollars on a fireworks display in Saint Paul this year,” Carter’s post said.

In the past, the city partnered with Taste of Minnesota, a local food festival, which was able to get corporate sponsors to pay for fireworks. However, Taste of Minnesota closed up shop in 2016.

Liz Xiong, press secretary for Carter, said the fireworks, along with the police and city staff it takes to make the event happen, was estimated to cost about $100,000. 

Reactions to the Facebook post were mixed. Some were upset about the decision and called it unpatriotic, while others supported the decision and said they had no issue going to other communities to get their fireworks fix. 

Others mentioned how disappointed they were last year that the fireworks, which were paid for by the city but held in the St. Paul Saints stadium, could only be seen from inside stadium.

Some mentioned an East Side tradition of going to Indian Mounds Park to view the city’s display and that they missed being able to do that.

Despite the lack of a fireworks show, Carter encouraged St. Paulites to discover other Fourth of July events in the city by checking out www.visitstpaul.com. To see the Review’s list of some activities happening in nearby communities, see page 7. 

 

— Marjorie Otto

Rate this article: 
No votes yet
Comment Here